Premedical first aid in the workplace
As far as first aid at work is concerned, the applicable rules are contained in the Labour Code, as well as in the Regulation of the Minister of Labour and Social Policy of 26 September 1997. According to art. 209 par. 1 pt. 2 of the Labour Code, the employer is obliged to:
- provide all the necessary means for first aid; it is obligatory to equip the company with a first-aid kit; if the workplace is a place where the work involves accident risks and the first-aid kit alone is insufficient - the employer should also create a special medical post for first aid,
- designate an employee (or several employees) to provide first aid.
All measures, concerning pre-medical first aid in a given company, must be adapted to the company's business profile, the number of employees and the type of risks.
First aid training
In every company, regardless of how many people it employs, health and safety (OSH) training courses are mandatory. During these courses, employees learn, among other things, about safety rules, including elements of first aid. Many employers are therefore in a dilemma as to whether this is sufficient. Some are of the opinion that it is not. In such a situation, it is worth investing in additional training so that the employees designated to provide first aid are well trained in this area.
Company ERGON has many years of experience in providing professional first aid training. Our courses take the form of both theoretical and practical classes. The courses are distinguished by their very high quality of training, and the knowledge gained from them can prove useful not only at work but also in life.
Qualified trainers will teach you how to deal with various cases where immediate help is needed. The training will show you how to deal with situations such as fainting, heart attack or being struck by lightning.
The theoretical part of the class consists of:
- Legal aspects;
- Emergency numbers and notification of emergency services;
- Principles of evacuation of injured persons;
- How to properly secure an accident scene;
- Management of injuries such as frostbite, fracture, burn, foreign bodies in wounds, bleeding, chest, head, abdominal injuries;
- Risk to life and health: poisoning, epileptic attack, choking, lightning or electric shock, fainting or heart attack;
- Checking vital signs of incident victims;
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation: principles of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in both adults and children; conducting cardiac massage and artificial respiration.
The practical part of our course includes:
- Organisation of the evacuation taking into account the selection of injured persons;
- Placing the casualty in a safe position;
- Rules for dealing with the following situations: electrocution, lightning, traffic accidents, drowning, choking, epilepsy, spinal injury, fainting and others.
First aid courses at the Operator Training Centre are aimed at individuals and organisations, including employers and their employees. It is important to us to show our trainees the principles of how to act if the injured person is an adult or a child.
During the training courses, we teach trainees, among other things, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), which consists of a combination of different actions to restore vital functions.
The table below shows the principles of CPR, different for a child and an adult.
|Infants and children
|Number of chest compressions
|30 compressions to a depth of about 1/3 of the chest height. In the case of infants, compress with two fingers.
|30 compressions to a depth of about 5 cm. Apply pressure with the hands.
|Number of inhalations
|At the beginning we do 5 inhalations.
|2 rescue breaths after compressions.
After our practical and theoretical courses, you will feel much more confident and relaxed in the event of an emergency. We have more than 15 years of experience in training projects, trained instructors, modern facilities - equipped with the necessary accessories.
We provide flexibility - we are able to tailor our first aid course to the client's needs and enhance it with additional elements for specific jobs. We employ experts with many years of experience in their profession. This is why our training courses are delivered to a high standard.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us - we will provide you with all the necessary information. We provide affordable prices, which we always set individually and offer discounts for larger groups. We run both open and closed courses (for organised groups). Our head office is in Warsaw, but we also operate in other cities such as Kraków, Bielsko-Biała, Poznań, Wrocław and Katowice. In the case of organised groups, we are able to organise training at a location agreed with the customer.
We encourage you to visit our website and find out more about the wide range of training courses that the ERGON Personnel Improvement Centre has on offer. Among other things, we offer occupational health and safety training, but also courses for operators of mobile platforms, aerial work platforms and many others.
At a glance:
- Health, safety and security
- Occupational health and safety training - scope of job instructions
- Training in occupational health and safety
- Course on maintenance of hand-held firefighting equipment at ERGON
- Periodic training of occupational health and safety service employees and persons performing the tasks of the service