What are flanged joints?
The tightness of connections plays a key role in industrial plumbing. Leaky connections can put all workers at risk, which is why flanged connections are a popular element of such installations.
A flange connection is two opposite elements called flanges (because of their shape) connected by at least four bolts. In most plumbing installations there is a gasket between the flanges, however, in some installations you can find the flange-to-flange connections (most often in plumbing installations do not require very strong connections)
Flange connections are one of the most popular couplings used in industrial hydraulic installations, due to their durability and the security they offer. Appropriate selection of flange joints at the level of the installation design ensures safe and long operation without the need for frequent maintenance of the installation.
Advantages of flanged connections
Flange connections owe their popularity to several advantages that make them the ideal choice for hydraulic installations requiring high strength parts. The most important advantages of flanged connections are:
- Very high tightness of flange connections - flange connections are an extremely durable type of connection of a hydraulic system. Therefore, if their efficiency is too high, they can also last for a very long time without any mechanical damage.
- Rigidity - flanged connections are resistant to various types of deflection, therefore they are the perfect choice for all installations where the joints will be under high pressure.
- Disconnection - despite high tightness and strength, thanks to their design, flanged connections are easy to disconnect and reassemble, which is of great importance in the maintenance of hydraulic installations.
Who can install and maintain flange connections?
Installation and maintenance of flange connections should always be performed by certified specialists. Due to the high pressure that often occurs in installations containing flanged connections, only competent persons should be involved in working with installations of this type.
Permits to work in the profession of a fitter-maintenance technician of flange connections can be obtained by completing the appropriate course ending with the UDT exam. Courses of this kind are organized in training centers throughout the country. The scope of training for flanged connections includes:
- Types of flange connections
- Function of the gasket, its types and properties
- Tension the bolt and pressure on the gasket
- Causes of damage to flange connections
- Stress on flange connections and its effect on the rest of the installation
- General health and safety rules for working with flange connections
- Safe dismantling and maintenance of flanged connections
- Preparation of the seating surfaces during the installation of flanged connections
- Failure diagnosis
- Safe transport of the seal for assembly
What material are the flange connections made of?
Installations with flanged connections must be made of a very durable material. Due to the fact that they are most often used in hydraulic installations under high pressure, they must be resistant to damage. Therefore, stainless steel remains the most common choice for the installation of flange connections.