Scissor lifts - specifics of the job
What are scissor lifts?
Scissor lifts are equipment designed for working at height. Their name derives from their typical scissor arrangement. Their purpose is to lift a working platform, or so-called table. They have a high resistance to weight and can transport a wide variety of materials and people. The machine is controlled by remote control, which makes them quick to operate. Scissor lifts definitely outweigh scaffolding in terms of mobility. They are safe because railings are attached to the platform, but safety is also provided by a hydraulic system and advanced technology. Often these devices are used on construction sites for, among other things:
- painting of buildings,
- assembly of various installations,
- maintenance of building façades,
- window cleaning of high-rise buildings,
- the transport of bulky goods.
Construction of scissor lifts
This equipment has several important elements that, as a future operator, you should know, these are:
- safety frame;
- external and internal levers;
- hydraulic station;
All lifts use hydraulic components, electronics and a number of safety features. Thanks to the safety features, the working platform does not move.
Division and application of scissor lifts
- Table lifts - They work well in mechanical and service workshops where heavy and bulky loads are handled. They are even indispensable for welding, assembling and repairing at a certain height.
- Vertical lifts - have a large platform lifting range. They are therefore ideal for replacing lighting in large halls, electrical and ventilation installations and high-bay warehouses when forklift trucks are not available. In addition, they can also be used for work that would be impossible to carry out without equipment, as their reach extends up to 5 m.
- Mobile elevators - As the name suggests, this is a rather compact type of lift. It will be a good tool for places with small areas. Its wheels have no limits and turn in every direction, so the whole lift rotates in any way. This allows it to reach any shelf or component.
- Low-profile lifts - have relatively few options. They are mainly used in warehouses where loads only need to be transported safely. Due to their small footprint, they do not require tooling for assembly.
- Tandem lifts - This category of lifters is capable of handling the heaviest loads of all types of this type of machine, as it lifts goods weighing up to 7,000 kg. Among other things, it is ideal for lifting heavy materials vertically.
- Special lifts - They are personalised to the customer. These are bespoke devices that are developed under the supervision of professionals.
Questions and answers
Where is the scissor lift used?
Scissor lifts are used, for example, in garages, loading work or transporting goods.
What gives scissor lifts stability?
Definitely the elements that contribute to the stability of scissor lifts are the two pairs of scissors. These are very strong and ensure safety in every form.
What types of mobile platforms are there?
There are three main types of platform by design features, these are: mast, suspension and mobile platforms.