What are tower cranes?
What are they for?
They are capable of moving heavy elements to great heights. They definitely make work more efficient.
Why are they so widely used?
Without them, as many tall buildings would not have been built in as short a time as we have in the present. Each has its own advantages and different uses.
What parts are they made of?
The crane consists of:
- base - it is attached to a huge concrete slab.
- Tower (mast) - has a vertical shape, connects to the base. Composed of numerous elements depending on the height.
- the boom columns - the working arm, moves the load. The operator's cab is located here.
- the chief - slides along the boom.
- slewing gear - made up of a motor and a ring gear. With its help the crane rotates.
How are they assembled?
Everything is done in a certain order. First comes the base. Then the boom and the operator's cab. The counterweight is added. All these things form the basis of the crane. The next step is to lift the unit. Between the bottom and the top is a specific cage. In it, further components of the structure can be added, raising the upper part to the appropriate height. This allows you to set the appropriate lifting range for the crane.
Assembling a crane requires three steps:
- operation of the device
Is the crane subject to technical inspection?
Yes. These are actions set out in the Act to ensure the safe operation of fuel vapour recovery and technical facilities. As well as ensuring public safety in these areas
These can be divided into:
Most often found on large construction sites. They are characterised by a long reach of the boom, have a significant lifting height and can work in difficult conditions. They are perfect for demanding terrain, where mobile solutions prove to be too problematic or impossible.
They have a high lifting capacity in a small working space, with average manoeuvrability, high precision and a robust design. Their main working environments are in the construction (including tunnels) and energy sectors.
They are used on the railway platform to load and unload rails. With them, a railway route can be built lengthways. A single crane is sufficient for short distances. For longer rail sections, a set of cranes (up to 4 cranes) is needed.
What qualifications are required to operate a tower crane?
- Crane operator course - upon completion, the student will sit for an examination before a commission from the Office of Technical Inspection.
- UDT category I Ż - tower equipment (e.g. construction equipment), quick-mounting mobile cranes.
Systematisation taking into account:
- Place of trading:
- top speed
- Boom type:
- Method of deployment:
- on a drop anchor
- on the chassis
- in the lift shaft
- Mounting method:
- using an auxiliary crane
- Self-assembling (quick-fit)
The most important technical parameters in the crane:
- overhang - distance of the hook from the turntable
- useful lifting height - determines the distance of the hook at the highest point from the ground
- Working moment - the product of the lifting capacity and the overhang
- load capacity - the highest permissible weight of load that can be carried
- Area of action - depends on the length of the overhang. It moves in the shape of a circle.
Who can become a crane operator?
It will certainly be a person who has no fear of heights and is extremely responsible. It must be taken into account that even the smallest mistake can lead to unpleasant consequences.
The most important qualities of a good employee?
- sober mind
- high vigilance
What are the requirements?
- undergoing a three-month training course
- passing exams - theoretical and practical
What should be borne in mind?
Test scores should be at an appropriate level. This will increase the chance of employment as well as better prepare the candidate. This does not change the fact that you should practice your skills diligently and be familiar with health and safety.
What is the job of a crane operator like?
A worker controls a crane from a cab. He is high above the ground. Which gives a thrill and a breathtaking view. This is especially visible in large cities such as Krakow or Warsaw, where the cockpit offers a beautiful view of the agglomeration's buildings. Of course, with time everything can get boring and not make much of an impression on us. Let us remember that the loads carried by a crane operator are often massive, of various shapes, which entails great responsibility and precision in handling. When carrying out monotonous tasks, safety must always be kept in mind. The most important thing is the health and life of people during the performance of tasks.
What salary can you expect?
The average earnings are approx. 3500 PLN. Net monthly.
What factors influence remuneration?
- the size of the company or its reputation
- length of service
- hours worked per month
Is the profession popular these days?
According to general information, there is no shortage of people willing to work in crane services. This is likely to be linked to fair pay.
ERGON Centre invites you to UDT training courses.
Our head office is in Warsaw, but our branches are also available throughout Poland. We organise open classes available to anyone interested, as well as closed classes for groups. We encourage you to take a look at our offer!